In 1836, Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg, a former apprentice to a cabinet maker living in the Harz mountains, secretly constructed his first grand piano. A few years later, in the Harz town of Seesen, he founded one of Germany’s first piano factories to have long-term success, where the world’s first grand piano went into series. In 1850 he immigrated to the United States and became the most famous piano maker of all time and changed his name to Henry E. Steinway. His eldest son continued to run the business in Germany. The company headquarters have since relocated to Braunschweig.