Coco Collection, a hospitality brand specializing in creating true boutique luxury on some of the most beautiful islands in the Maldives, will introduce four new residencies with world-renowned Chefs Colin Clague and Monica Galetti; award-winning Mixologist Ryan Chetiyawardana aka Mr Lyan; and talented Artist Mbongeni Buthelezi.
CHEF: Colin Clague // August 11, 13 & 15
· Coco Collection is excited to partner with award-winning Executive Chef Colin Clague of Rüya Dubai and Rüya London, on a very special chef residency to bring Turkish cuisine to the shores ofCoco Bodu Hithi. He will be creating two elevated dinners featuring 6-course tasting menusfor guests at our overwater seafood restaurant, Aqua, on August 11th and 15th. as well as aspecial masterclass on August 13. Happy to share the full menu if interested.
MIXOLOGIST: Ryan Chetiyawardana aka Mr Lyan // October 20, 21 & 24
· Mr Lyan, an award-winning mixologist from the UK who crafted cocktail menus for some of the world’s best bars, will create a bespoke menu and spearhead the bar program at Coco Bodu Hithi’s Latitude on October 20th and 24th in addition to teaching a masterclass on October 21.
· Mr Lyan opened his first bar, White Lyan, in London in 2013, which was the first cocktail bar in the world to use no perishables, fruit nor ice. Mr Lyan will launch his newest bar, Silver Lyan,in Washington D.C towards of the end of 2019
CHEF: Monica Galetti // October 22, 23, & 25
· Monica Galetti, one of the leading female chefs in London, will return to Coco Bodu Hithi to conduct a chef residency with two 6-course dinners on October 22nd and 25th, and a masterclass on October 23rd.
· Born in Samoa and raised in Wellington, New Zealand, Monica developed an early interest in cooking and trained as a chef in New Zealand. Monica is the presenter and a judge on BBC2’s MasterChef: The Professionals. She is also the Chef Patron of Mere, London.
ARTIST: Mbongeni Buthelezi // November 1-30
· Mbongeni Buthelezi, a South African artist who upcycles discarded single-use plastic for his art, will create 6 pieces for Coco Collection – 5 pieces for Coco Bodu Hithi and 1 large piece for Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. The large piece will be created during his month-long residency from November 1-30. He will also conduct workshops for guests, local artists, and schoolchildren, in addition to hosting an exhibition showcasing some of his existing work.
· Called “plastic painting”, Mbongeni uses a heat gun to melt pieces of plastic together on to a surface. He invented this collage-like painting technique over 26 years ago, and has since developed it to create stunning and vivid pieces of art.